Sunday, March 10, 2013

Easter Dresses! - Pt 1

Yesterday I bought some fabric to make the girls Easter dresses. The first fabric I found was at the local quilt shop:

It's lovely, but it would require just exactly the right dress pattern, and I just couldn't come up with the right combination with the ModKid and Ottobre patterns I already own, so I went to JoAnn's to see what they might have. (I'll probably go back for the puff flower print sometime when I find the right pattern...)

At JoAnn's, I found a beautiful floral that made me think instantly of one of the patterns I had in mind for the first fabric. It proved nearly impossible to match, however... until I got to the special occasion fabric. There, I happened to find polyester shantung in exactly the right colors. So I figured, what the heck? I may regret it at some point, but the fabric is so pretty, maybe not!

Here is the fabric:

And here is the pattern--a lovely version made by Astrid from Denmark, who blogs at Connecting the Dots and sews with Ottobre patterns:

This pattern comes from the Summer 2008 issue of Ottobre.  My only reservation (besides the fear that I somehow managed to buy too little fabric...) is that with the way the shantung ravels, I should probably make French seams.  I don't think the bodice is lined.  And I'm not a fan of having a lined, sleeveless bodice.  I've had some issues with trying to turn a lined, sleeveless bodice right-side-out.  I need to check on that.  But anyway, I haven't washed the fabric or traced the pattern yet, so I have time to figure it all out!


  1. Can't wait to see the finished product. The fabric is so pretty.